UMNO said 11 of its MPs do not support Perikatan Nasional and Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin and more will be joining the list.
Party president Zahid Hamidi said this in an online press conference after the Supreme Council meeting, where he said it was unanimously decided to withdraw support for PN and the PM.
According to Malaysiakini, the list of MPs who attended the session are as follows:
- Najib Abdul Razak (Pekan)
- Azalina Othman Said (Pengerang)
- Mohd Nizar Zakaria (Parit)
- Azeez Abdul Rahim (Baling)
- Noh Omar (Tanjung Karang)
- Ahmad Zahid Hamidi (Bagan Datuk)
- Ahmad Nazlan Idris (Jerantut)
- Ahmad Jazlan Yaakub (Machang)
- Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah (Gua Musang)
- Ramli Mohd Nor (Cameron Highlands)
- Ahmad Maslan (Pontian)
Zahid Hamidi said the 11 had stated their withdrawal of support for Muhyiddin in writing and the process of gathering more was ongoing.
“These letters have been sent to the King. For proof, with me are (some of the) MPs who signed the letters.
He said some MPs could not be with him today, especially those from Sabah.
Zahid indicated that he had already sought an audience with the King and the additional letters will be given then.
It is also unclear if any MP commands the support of 111 MPs , the minimum required for a majority.
Earlier, Umno supreme council member Shamsul Anuar Nasarah resigned as the Energy and Natural Resources Minister.
When parliament last convened – there were 106 MPs on the opposition bench.