Sarawak will disclose more information about Covid-19 patients movement

By Emma Victoria

WITH the nation’s Covid-19 cases continuing to register four digit cases daily, Sarawak has decided to provide more information on cases reported in the state.

Sarawak Disaster Management Committee said among the information that will be released to the public are places and dates where Covid-19 positive patients have visited.

Its chairman Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas said currently only general information about some public places they went to are released but there were no details.

He said the move was to improve the contact tracing process.

He said while family members, friends or colleagues of patients can be traced, it was sometimes difficult to locate others as they could have been exposed without even knowing it.

Meanwhile, there were 2,027 new Covid-19 cases nationwide today with Sarawak reporting 13 cases.

There were also eight deaths – seven of them Malaysians.

Health director-general Tan Sri Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said there were 1,221 recoveries, bringing the total number of discharges to 99,449.

Total infections stand at 122,845, with 22,887 of them being active cases.

He said 123 patients were in the ICU, of which 52 are on respirators.

The death toll is now 509.

Selangor had the highest number of cases with 509, followed by Johor (428), Sabah (383) and Kuala Lumpur (313).

They were followed by Negeri Sembilan (98), Penang (60), Kedah (47), Kelantan (42), Labuan (37), Perak (25), Pahang (25), Malacca (21) and 13 each in Sarawak, Terengganu and Putrajaya.

No cases were reported in Perlis.

On the Sarawak cases, 10 were imported cases, two local transmissions in Kuching and one in Miri.

The first case in Kuching, involves a Sarawakian man detected through contact tracing activities and was likely to have had close contact with a previously reported case involving the Stutong Cluster in Kuching district.

The second case is a Sarawakian woman who went for Covid-19 screening at a private hospital on Jan 4 after suffering from headaches and sore throat since Dec 29.

The case in Miri was a close contact of a confirmed case.

The case of the pilot who tested positive in Miri last week, is now classified as a cluster after five related cases were detected.

The cluster is named ‘Bah Sayap’ involving Miri and Kota Kinabalu in Sabah.

With the addition of the new cluster, Sarawak now has three active clusters with the other two being the Stutong Cluster in Kuching with 10 positive cases and the Mador Cluster in Meradong with eight cases.

To date, Sarawak has reported 1,161 cases, including 19 deaths.

Facebook
Twitter