By Jack Lapidus
IN an effort to contain the spread of Covid-19, the Sarawak Health Department will be commence its door-to-door active case detection in hotspots, starting with Kota Samarahan tomorrow.
Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Adham Baba said the active case detection operation will be done at two locations namely Taman Desa Ilmu and Taman Unigarden from April 27 to 30, Borneo Post reported.
“Agencies involved in the operation to assist the Health Department would be the Samarahan Resident Office, the police, Rela and the local government here,” he said.
He said the active case detection operation aims to track down and screen the 2,500 close and casual contacts in Sarawak who have not voluntarily come forward for Covid-19 screening.
“This is done under the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases Act 1988 (Act 342), at home or quarantine stations that have been identified,” he added.
Dr Adham, who was in Kuching to monitor the Sarawak’s Covid-19 situation, also said the state recorded seven new Covid-19 positive cases as of 12pm today.
He said since the first case was recorded in the state on March 13, there have 485 cases so far and to date, 179 have recovered and have been discharged.
“As of today also, 290 positive cases are being treated at Sarawak General Hospital, Sibu Hospital, Miri Hospital and Bintulu Hospital.
“At the moment, the pandemic is still active in Sarawak, especially in the two red zone districts of Kuching and Kota Samarahan,” he said, adding that the death toll in the state remains at 16.