SARAWAK will reevaluate its recently announced assistance package for the people following the extension of the Movement Control Order.
Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Abang Johari Tun Openg said the extension of the MCO to April 14 will have an impact on various economic sectors which benefit from the Sarawakku Sayang Special Assistance Package announced last week, reports Bernama.
“I will review the sectors we have to help as the petty traders will not be able to conduct their business for two more weeks. There are many other sectors, such as production (which need attention),” he said in the Bicara Naratif programme on TV1 last night.
On March 23, Abang Johari announced that the state government was allocating RM1.15 billion for the Sarawakku Sayang Special Assistance Package which among others gives aid to the low-income (B40) group, frontliners working during the MCO period to fight Covid-19, as well as small and medium-scale entrepreneurs in the state.
He said the Sarawakku Sayang Special Assistance Package was a short-term measure while in the long term, the state government had big projects which would boost economic growth.
Abang Johari said the Sarawak government will expedite the distribution of the aid through government agencies such as the Inland Revenue Department and through a special committee headed by State Secretary Datuk Amar Jaul Samion.