By Emma Victoria
THE Rainforest World Music Festival (RWMF) will be postponed after all, despite an earlier assurance from the state government that the event which draws international crowd by the tens of thousands, would go on despite Covid-19 fears.
The postponement came merely hours after Sarawak confirmed its first three Covid-19 case, involving a couple from Kuching who had participated in a religious event in Kuala Lumpur, and a family member.
The state’s Tourism, Arts and Culture Minister Datuk Abdul Karim Hamzah said any functions involving over 250 people in Sarawak would be put on hold in accordance with the directive from the state disaster management committee, Dayak Daily reported.
“Those events are not cancelled but postponed until the situation of Covid-19 improves and subsidies,” he said at a press conference held in Kuching today.
Over 30 business and tourism events are expected to be affected.
During the launch of the three-day RWMF yesterday, Karim had said that the iconic music festival would proceed as planned.
However, he clarified that the announcement was made before Sarawak recorded its first three patients who tested positive for Covid-19.
The event slated to be held from July 10 to 12 is the largest music festival in the region It managed to attract over 20,000 people around the globe last year.