By Chew Lip Song
THE government has revoked an earlier decision to allow two breweries to operate during the Movement Control Order (MC) period following protest from several Perikatan Nasional leaders.
Defence Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said this was decided in a special special cabinet meeting chaired by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin today, The Malaysian Insight reported.
“The International Trade and Industry Ministry will inform them today. This is no longer an issue and the matter is settled,” Ismail said during his daily media briefing on Covid-19 today.
Heineken Malaysia Bhd and Carlsberg Malaysia had previously been given approval by the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry to continue operations.
Among those who had questioned the earlier decision was Federal Territories Minister Tan Sri Annuar Musa as this was not in line with the MCO policy.
PAS had also demanded the withdrawal of the approval as alcohol was not an essential service
The government had previously ordered all non-essential companies to be shut during the MCO, which is to run until April 14.
Earlier an approval letter for Heineken to resume limited operations with a minimal number of essential workers went viral on social media.