PM: MCO conditions relaxed, but no balik kampung

Picture from The Star

By John Isaac

THE government has announced that some conditions of the movement control order (MCO) that was first introduced on March 18 would be relaxed.

However, inter-state travel, including to return to hometowns for Hari Raya Aidilfitri, would still be disallowed, Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said.

Under the new “conditional MCO”, (CMCO) all religious activities, sports and recreational activities involving large gatherings would still not be allowed, he said today.

However, the Prime Minister also announced that almost all economic sectors and business activities will be allowed to resume business, subject to conditions and a standard operating procedure (SOP).

Muhyiddin Yassin said the decision was made following advice from the Health Ministry and after lengthy discussions during Economic Action Council, National Security Council and Cabinet meetings.

“I am saying almost all because there will be industries and businesses that will not be allowed to operate. These are businesses that involves the presence of a lot of people where body contact and social distancing will be difficult to exercise,” he said in his special address.

Among the new measures, restaurants would be allowed to reopen from May 4 onwards, but must enforce social distancing.

Muhyiddin also noted that the nation is losing about RM2.4 billion daily during MCO, enforced to break the spread of Covid-19 infections, with the total loss so far estimated at about RM63 billion.

School, colleges and higher learning institutes will also remain closed under the MCMO.

.

Facebook
Twitter