Miri’s suspected tomb-raider was released from prison last week

The suspect being held by the police. – Suara Sarawak photo.

By Chew Lip Song

MIRI police have arrested a man suspected to be involved in raiding several tombs in Riam, The suspect is said to have been released from prison last week.

The suspect, 28, was held near the Riam Commercial Centre around 10.45pm yesterday, district police chief ACP Lim Meng Seah said.

“During interrogation, the suspect had admitted that he had been involved in desecrating several graves at the Riam cemetery,” said Lim, in a Borneo Post report.

Lim added that the suspect also admitted to have several more accomplices who are still at large.

It is learnt that the suspect had been desecrating the graves after his release from prison on July 17 and that he had stolen several valuables from the graves such as gold necklaces.

“The suspect had 10 past criminal records that were committed between 2014 and 2018,” said Lim.

Police are investigating the case under Section 297 of the Penal Code for trespassing on burial places.

If convicted, the offender could face imprisonment for a term that may extend to a year, or fine, or both.

Related Posts

Facebook
Twitter