By S. Harrish
RAMADAN bazaars in north and south Kuching have been cancelled by the authorities due to the current situation of Covid-19 in Sarawak.
Kuching North City Commission (DBKU) and Kuching South City Council (MBKS) announced the decision today, saying the bazaars could hamper efforts to control the Covid-19 situation in the state.
DBKU director Dr Morshidi Ahmad said in a statement that the bazaars in Satok, Semarak, and Sukma Ria have been cancelled.
MBKS has also cancelled its traditional annual Ramadan bazaar at the parking lots near Stutong Community Market.
Kuching South mayor Datuk Wee Hong Seng said MBKS decided to take precautionary measures to avoid huge crowds and the possibility of the spread of Covid-19.
“We would like to apologise to the vendors who had shown interest (in setting up stalls at the bazaar).
“I think now is not the time to have these bazaars when the daily Covid-19 cases are quite high. We will try to do it next year,” he said in a brief WhatsApp message to Borneo Post.
He said the council was supporting the government’s efforts to control Covid-19 cases in the state and that it is the joint responsibility of all to comply with the SOPs and directives under this CMCO period.
The State Disaster Management Committee had announced last month that Ramadan bazaars would be allowed to operate from April 12 to May 12 with strict SOPs.
However, it required approvals from their respective Divisional Disaster Management Committees and all workers and operators of the bazaars must undergo the Covid-19 rt-PCR swab test and produce a negative result before they are allowed to operate.