Emergency ordinances cancelled since July 21, says govt

By S. Harrish

THE Government today announced that all emergency ordinances enacted this year have been revoked since July 21.

De facto Law Minister Datuk Takiyuddin Hassan from Pas announced this in parliament today during the first day of the special sitting.

The surprise announcement was met with disbelieve from MPs as there were no prior announcements and also due to its legal implications.

Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim described the sudden announcement as unbecoming of the government and that it does not fulfil the requirements of the Federal Constitution.

He lashed out at the federal government for not following the procedures in removing the controversial emergency ordinances.

Anwar explained that the emergency ordinances were promulgated through the King’s consent and the revocation should also be done in the same way or through Parliament.

“I am uncertain if what was announced by the (law) minister has received royal consent. It was not mentioned.

“If this has not happened, the announcement (by the law minister) is invalid. It is an insult towards the Malay rulers, especially the Agong,” said Anwar, according to Malaysiakini.

“They cannot say ‘Today we are declaring emergency’. Then the next sitting say ‘We cancelled it last week’.

“Are we in a pasar malam?” asked Anwar.

He said the government must respect Article 150(3) of the Federal Constitution and allow the ordinances to be debated in Parliament.

“If this is not respected, can we expect other matters discussed today to be respected?” asked Anwar.

 

 

Facebook
Twitter