By S. Harrish
A NEGATIVE Covid-19 test is needed before anyone is allowed to enter or pass through Bintulu division until Apr 18.
Bintulu Division Disaster Management Committee (BDDMC) chairman Jack Aman Luat said those who need to pass through will not be allowed to continue on their journey without a negative test result.
According to a Borneo Post report, he said the decision was final and everyone must comply with the requirement, which is part of Bintulu’s inter-division entry Covid-19 SOP.
He said the drastic move was to reduce the number of positive cases in the division due to travellers from other districts and divisions.
On Tuesday, Bintulu Health officer Dr Melvin Chung had said this mechanism would help the Health Ministry to contain and reduce the number of positive cases.
The complete entry SOP can be downloaded from the Bintulu Resident’s Office website at https://bintulu.sarawak.gov.my.
Bukit Assek assemblywoman Irene Chang had previously said the test requirement added to the financial burden of people in Sibu and Miri.
She said in Sibu, people were swarming to Lanang health clinic for the swab test and are being charged RM150 per person.
“I was informed that the charge is only for those travelling to and passing through Bintulu for business or private matters.
“Even so, this is a huge financial burden for a lot of people, especially during this time when most are still not financially sound,” said Chang.
For those who drive, she said the cost would be doubled as people usually do not drive alone for long distance trips.
In this time of the pandemic, most people do not travel for leisure. They only travel because they are forced to for work and business, she said.