Barbershop debacle: Azmin claims MOH rep was present at meeting

Malaysiakini picture

By Chew Lip Song

UNDER siege over missteps in granting exemptions to barbers and hairdressers to operate during the Movement  Control Order (MCO), Minister Datuk Seri Azmin Ali said the Health Ministry initially did not object to the proposed relaxation.

The Minister of International Trade and Industry said a Health Ministry representative was also present during the cabinet special committee meetings to discuss economic measures two weeks ago, Malaysiakini reported.

The decisions made during these meetings were then brought to the cabinet on April 6 and 10, to be fine-tuned.

“So this process must go through the Health Ministry, which is an important ministry in giving advice to the International Trade and Industry Ministry (Miti) and other ministries which were involved in the additional sectors so that our efforts to curb Covid-19 is in line with that of the Health Ministry,” he told a press conference in Putrajaya today.

Last week, Miti was criticised after announcing that barbershops were among the additional sectors allowed to operate during the third phase of the MCO.

Health director-general Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah had also disagreed with barbershops operating during this period.

Azmin also revealed that four companies, which had obtained approval from Miti to operate during the MCO had their permissions revoked for failing to comply with regulations. He did not reveal the names of the companies.

Related Posts

Facebook
Twitter